Emergency Do's and Don'ts
As Michigan is currently in a rainy season, here are some emergency water damage tips to help assist you in taking proper action until our SERVPRO of Farmington & Farmington Hills technicians arrive.
Emergency Water Damage Tips:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the home or building if you have safe access to the power distribution panel.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting or flooring.
- Move any artwork, computers, documents, and other items with sentimental value to a dry place.
- Don’t enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. ALWAYS avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don’t use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, this could cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
If you experience a water damage call SERVPRO of Farmington & Farmington Hills at (248) 427-1500